19965Re: Best Rain Fly

  • lpon2000
    Apr 14, 2009
      Hi Kerri,

      Yes, the shock cord results in flapping - if you use just shock cord, it will likely flap more than if you go out of the way to make line/shock cord tensioners. It would take a lot more work to pull straight shock cord tight than if you are using a short loop of it and a cord, and at some point as has been mentioned shock cord can be dangerous - tent pegs make good missiles.

      But if it's a choice between flapping and having a torn tarp, I'll endure the slight flap. My cat tarp was humming when the wind gusted right, but it held once I piled enough rocks on the stake. the whip crack would be an unanchored corner of the tarp.

      Lori

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Kerri Larkin <kerrilarkin@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > First post here! I think the shock cord with hooks is a great idea! Makes a lot of sense and sure beats those knots. I've not yet spent a night in my HH Explorer Deluxe with the silnylon hex fly so I'm wondering if the shock cord allows the fly to be flapy and noisy when it's windy? I have a picture in my mind it may allow the fly to flap enough to sound like a whip cracking.
      >
      > Thanks for all the good advice here!
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Kerri

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic