19961Re: Best Rain fly/tarp to use for lightweight backpacking with hammo

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Apr 11, 2009
      Hey, Friends-

      Just a comment about using shock cords. Without debating their usefulness in specific situations, please be aware that shock cords, as several other materials, are subject to break-down from agents such as DEET. Rubberized materials seem to be especially susceptible. When applying DEET, try to wash it off of your hands before handling gear, or use your wrists to spread bug repellant. This will also help prevent getting DEET into your eyes, should you wipe them, or into food you subsequently might eat.

      HYOH,

      Rosaleen

      Re: Best Rain fly/tarp to use for lightweight backpacking with hammo
      Posted by: "boardmanmw" boardmanm@... boardmanmw
      Date: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:45 am ((PDT))

      I know its not the lightest option, but I use 3 ft shock cords to string my fly. You can buy 1/8in cord from Ace Hardware,