19950Re: Best Rain fly/tarp to use for lightweight backpacking with hammock

  • Bill Keiser
    Apr 8, 2009
      sportsman's guide makes a 12 x 12 lightweight catenary tarp for about $30. it isn't treated as far as i can tell.
      <http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=254694>
      i see they claim it is coated with "1,000 mm polyurethane water coating" but i don't detect any coating on mine except at the seams.
      it is not quite the quality of my larger kelty tarp, but it doesn't have the good name behind it. (kelty repaired my ripped tarp for free). it is plain nylon fabric, not ripstop or treated, but if set up properly, the rain or dew should run off to the edges.
      it weighs in at 1lb 12oz.
      personally i don't buy from them any more. their (mostly) china made gear is inferior. sometimes it just isn't worth it to buy the cheapest product!
      bill keiser

      "Brett" <dirtbikenguy2@...> wrote:

      > REI sells Polyurethane-treated ripstop nylon rainfly called the ENO DryFly Rainfly. it sells for 79.99.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic