19935Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Hanging technique

  • d2aisy2000
    Mar 31, 2009
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Crump <oldjoeclark@...> wrote:

      > Here is one single line suspension technique and discussion of it:
      >
      > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719
      >
      > Ken

      I'm glad to see that others are using Amsteel (and other strong, light hollow-braid ropes). For me one of the biggest advantages of these ropes is that I can use splices instead of knots so I get the full strength of the rope and therefore can use one of smaller diameter. The splices are adjustable when not under tension. I use strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg), to attach to tree-straps. I use a second pair of carabiners at the ends of the ridgeline to attach tarp and/or hammock. (In rainy weather I set the tarp up first and take it down last. On sunny days the quick set-up makes it easier to sit in the hammock while I eat lunch or stop for a mid-hike nap). My current rig uses 7/32 Amsteel, which may be overkill. It weighs 6.6 oz. without tree straps and adjusts for tree-to-tree distances of 14 to 35 feet.
      I'm experimenting with lighter, cheaper lines which still keep tensile strength about 3x working load.

      David Elliott
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic