19931Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Hanging technique

  • David Ball
    Mar 30, 2009
      In order to minimize damage to the trees, I would suggest using straps at
      least around the trees. Rope with the amount of stress that is placed on
      it around a tree could cause considerable damage. When we hang, trees are
      definitely part of our infrastructure and need our care.

      > I think you're talking about structural ridgelines - I haven't tried them
      > myself but have read plenty of talk about them and their benefits (to some
      > users). I'd suggest you go to www.hammockforums.net and do a search on the
      > phrase - I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information.
      >
      > 2009/3/30 Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...>
      >
      >> Sounds like a good idea for a permanet situation for back yard use. I
      >> haven't tried it, just seems there would be to much stretch and lots of
      >> rope
      >> to carry. Perhaps a chain would work with a come a long in the system.
      >> Lots
      >> of links for different size hammocks!
      >>
      >> Tom Galvin
      >> Commodore
      >> Cold Spring Kayak Club
      >> 914-213-3421
      >> thebaldguyd@... <thebaldguyd%40yahoo.com>
      >> www.cskc.org
      >>

      >> --- On Sun, 3/29/09, Brett
      >> <dirtbikenguy2@...<dirtbikenguy2%40yahoo.com>>
      >> wrote:
      >>
      >> From: Brett <dirtbikenguy2@... <dirtbikenguy2%40yahoo.com>>
      >> Subject: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Hanging technique
      >> To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
      >> Date: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 7:56 PM
      >>

      >> I think its about time i introduced myself. My name is Brett, i'm 26 and
      >> have been using a hammock for camping for a season although i've only
      >> made
      >> it out about 4 times. I have tried it in snowy cold weather as well as
      >> summer time with success. I usually hike the AT around Ny/CT/Mass .
      >>
      >> My question is if anyone has hung their hammock from a single rope tied
      >> between two trees with two pre-measured loops tied in the rope. I have
      >> thought of this idea but have not tried it out. My thought is that you
      >> could
      >> determine how far apart you preferred your hammock ends to be for the
      >> slope
      >> or curve of your liking and then you could tie your loops at that
      >> distance
      >> and just tie the rope to the tree with your hammock below this rope
      >> hanging
      >> from those two loops. this would keep your hammock hanging pretty much
      >> the
      >> same way despite the distance between the trees you find.
      >>
      >> If this topic or detailed hanging technique has been spoken about feel
      >> free
      >> to send me to the right location; as i know much has been said about
      >> hanging
      >> technique.
      >>
      >> -Brett-

      Dedicated to helping our customers experience personal growth, team
      building, and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

      "In the woods nothing will befall me... no disgrace, no calamity, which
      nature cannot repair..."

      R.W. Emerson

      http://www.riverjourneys.org
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic