19925Re: Winter pads

  • lpon2000
    Mar 12, 2009
      That sounds like it would interfere with the way the hammock conforms to me, which is IMO what makes it so comfortable. I don't use sleeping bags and the pad I have for hammocking is flexible enough that it doesn't pop out from under me the way a stiff narrow pad would.

      I use a top quilt and an underquilt and take the evazote 41" wide pad (Gossamer Gear, about twenty bucks) to add as additional insulation if temps dip further than expected. Don't see any reason to intentionally get bulky and heavy if it's not necessary.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@...> wrote:

      > Just a thought. Has anyone used a chase lounge cushion for a winter pad? Most of them are 74"x23"x3". It would be nothing to tie one on a winter sled. I was reading about sleeping bags with foam pads built into the bottom of them. It's a great idea for winter camping. But a bit heavy. I think the winter pad solution is to design a hammock just for winter camping. Problem is winter hammock camping is a limited market. Has anyone heard of any new promising insulating material that is light in weight?

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic