19896Re: alcohol stove for hammock backpacker?

  • no_p55
    Feb 18, 2009
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
      wrote:

      > As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking---I
      have begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear.
      The first step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering
      leaving behind my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a fuel
      tablet buring Esbit stove or making an alcohol stove.

      > The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title
      Cool little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see
      what I am planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have
      to figure where one can still find wire coat hangers and get a quarter
      handful of fiberglass insulation.

      > But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that
      alcohol stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the
      aluminum can not take the heat too many times---long trail hikers
      interviewed say they are lucky if such a stove lasts 500 miles.

      > Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long a
      stove lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a hike.

      > Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?
      >
      > How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its use
      is over or does it go straight from useful to gone?

      > R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ

      Robert in reply to your question I found an alternative to the soda
      can stove that will last longer, be more robust and just as easy to
      make. Check out this YouTube link
      (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w) and it will show you how.
      I haven't made one yet, but I will as soon as I find the bottles.
      Happy camping

      P Thomson
      Minnestoa
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic