19892Re: [Hammock Camping] hammock camping with kids
- Feb 18, 2009On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Tom Frazier <wildewudu@...> wrote:
> Question for everyone on the group,What ages?
> How many of us here have experience hammock camping with kids? I've got two
> that I plan on taking hammock camping this summer, along with my wife, but
> this will be their first time in a hammock. I do plan on taking a slow and
> measured approach and introduce them to the concept of sleeping in a hammock
> to give them time to adjust.
> However, I'm curious what the approach of others has been to get children
> comfortable with the idea of sleeping in a hammock. Was the experience very
> difficult? Any tips or suggestions?
I regularly take my 11 year old scouts out.
- as with all comping, practice in the back yard (or a local park)
- Hang low so the kid can get in and out by themselves
- Hang yourself on a shared tree so you are nearby
- Teach them that it is NOT a swing (although they can swing gently, but
- Hang a bag on a ridgeline or in the hammock end for books, flashlights,
water and maybe snacks
- Have fun!!
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>