19892Re: [Hammock Camping] hammock camping with kids

  • Ralph Oborn
    Feb 18, 2009
      On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Tom Frazier <wildewudu@...> wrote:

      > Question for everyone on the group,
      >
      > How many of us here have experience hammock camping with kids? I've got two
      > that I plan on taking hammock camping this summer, along with my wife, but
      > this will be their first time in a hammock. I do plan on taking a slow and
      > measured approach and introduce them to the concept of sleeping in a hammock
      > to give them time to adjust.
      >
      > However, I'm curious what the approach of others has been to get children
      > comfortable with the idea of sleeping in a hammock. Was the experience very
      > difficult? Any tips or suggestions?
      >
      > T3

      What ages?

      I regularly take my 11 year old scouts out.

      - as with all comping, practice in the back yard (or a local park)
      - Hang low so the kid can get in and out by themselves
      - Hang yourself on a shared tree so you are nearby
      - Teach them that it is NOT a swing (although they can swing gently, but
      NO pushing)
      - Hang a bag on a ridgeline or in the hammock end for books, flashlights,
      water and maybe snacks
      - Have fun!!

      Ralph Oborn