19778Fabric length

  • m2b1997
    Jan 21, 2009
      Okay, until a few days ago I had just been using a piece of cloth
      fabric, indoor or winter outdoor use only that was initially 15 feet
      long. I tied a knot in both ends and boom...there was my hammock
      ready to be hung.

      I had purchased a 15 foot piece of nylon and had already tied it off
      the old fashioned way and used it last Friday night outside and once
      or twice inside. Working like always, beautifully. No problems
      keeping the whole body/sleeping bag inside the hammock. Sure a
      little sliding around thanks to the switch to slicker bottom but I
      knew not to be surprised.

      I saw, if I remember right, on Just Jeff's page that Ed says to start
      with the fabric 2 feet longer than you are tall. Tie the ends and
      your ready to go.

      After seeing Just Jeff's piece I went out and retied my cotton
      hammock and redid the setup for it in the house. The first thing I
      was noticing was that it seemed like it was harder to get to feet to
      stay in the bottom of the hammock. The old way the feet had no
      trouble whatsoever staying in the hammock. Granted my feet were
      nowhere near the end of the hammock either which off course made the
      foot pocket that much larger.

      Yesterday in preps for heading back out for a near zero degree night
      last night I retied the nylon hammock and did some other farting
      around trying to get it set up so hopefully I would stay warm and
      comfortable all night long.

      I headed out and after doing a little fighting trying to get the
      padding where I wanted it I finally fell asleep. After waking up and
      using the peanut bar jar a few times overnight I noticed my toes were
      getting cold. Since I didn't have to open the hammock for any reason,
      thanks to the peanut bar jar, I didn't get a chance to see what was
      actually going on down at the feet.

      I managed to get the feet warmed back up/tired once again and fell
      back asleep for another 45-60 minutes. I woke up about 7:45, later
      than when I planned on getting up. As I started to get out of the
      sleeping bag the first thing I noticed was the feet were completely
      on top of the hammock. The feet weren't even inside the hammock at
      all. I think that helped to answer why my feet were cold. Heck, no
      padding, no wind/air break(admittedly it was dead calm winds
      overnight), no nothing underneath them at all.

      After getting out of the sleeping bag I walked to the top of the
      hammock where I had the thermometer hanging and I figured it was 5
      above zero. NOT!!! The forecast had been for 3 above for the low.
      OOPS, take away that weatherman's license to practice. Try more like -
      3 and just a couple of miles from Hanover, about a 35 minute drive
      from me...-11.

      So Ed, what do you guys use for your cut length? While 2 feet longer
      than your height does make for a nice tight fit, it also makes for A
      NICE TIGHT FIT! Having the feet dangling on top of the hammock isn't
      what is suppose to happen but it is a problem I have more or less
      seen each of the past three nights I've slept in a shorter hammock.
      I've never had the problem until now.

      Now if I could just figure out how to wrap that padding all the way
      around the body versus having it just under the body only...oops
      talking outloud. I got to learn to keep my mouth shut. I guess I know
      the forecast is for 10-15 below this weekend and I'm not staying
      inside. It's amazing the difference between having padding up around
      your shoulders and just having padding under your shoulders. I want
      the padding totally wrapped around the body for this weekend. I think
      I can take this zero degree Wal-Mart special mummy bag down to -15,
      very comfortably. Yes, I did decide to do it slightly differently as
      well. Since I couldn't find a decent way of attaching it to the
      outside of the hammock like I wanted to, no sewing machine yet, I put
      the padding right inside the sleeping bag. If the sleeping bag
      doesn't get cold, you won't get cold. The only part of the sleeping
      bag that was cold this morning was right above me...underneath and
      alogn the sides were still nice and warm thanks to the padding.

      MEANT 2B
      GAME '97
    • Show all 51 messages in this topic