      From: aethericpower <aethericpower@...>
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, January 4, 2009 11:12:11 PM
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: alcohol stove for hammock backpacker?

      --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@ ...>
      wrote:

      > As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking- --I
      have begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear.
      The first step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering
      leaving behind my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a
      fuel tablet buring Esbit stove or making an alcohol stove.

      > The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title
      Cool little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see
      what I am planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have
      to figure where one can still find wire coat hangers and get a
      quarter handful of fiberglass insulation.

      > But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that
      alcohol stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the
      aluminum can not take the heat too many times---long trail hikers
      interviewed say they are lucky if such a stove lasts 500 miles.

      > Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long a
      stove lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a
      hike.

      > Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?
      >
      > How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its use
      is over or does it go straight from useful to gone?

      > R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ

      I made a few. I found wire hanger very difficult to bend correctly. I
      wound up using the broken off bristles of street cleaners, found free
      on street intersections.

      I personally had two problems with such stoves. Likely from my
      inexeprience using them.

      1. They are hard to light. I used cotton balls or lint, and steel and
      flint. I have not found a wind screen tecnique I like yet with
      materials I have on hand.

      2. I often get a towering inferno effect like three or five minutes
      into it. Especially if I use a different kind of fuel like corn oil
      (also splatters) or Tiki torch fuel (that one gets REALLY hot). I
      have boiled water with three cat food can based ones under a soup can.

      I don't have much expertise, but I did want to share my noice
      experience with you.