      From: Blake Robert
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 9:20 AM
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] alcohol stove for hammock backpacker?

      As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking---I have begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear. The first step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering leaving behind my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a fuel tablet buring Esbit stove or making an alcohol stove.

      The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title Cool little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see what I am planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have to figure where one can still find wire coat hangers and get a quarter handful of fiberglass insulation.

      But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that alcohol stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the aluminum can not take the heat too many times---long trail hikers interviewed say they are lucky if such a stove lasts 500 miles.

      Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long a stove lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a hike.

      Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?

      How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its use is over or does it go straight from useful to gone?

      R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ