      From: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jim Priest
      Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 3:26 PM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Keeping warm in winter

      On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Ed Speer <ed@... <mailto:ed%40speerhammocks.com> > wrote:
      > with great success. For backcountry use, small motorcycle batteries & DC
      > electric lap blankets for use in cars seems like a logical approach yet to
      > be tried. Motorcycle riders & snowmobilers wear DC heated jackets &

      I ride a motorcycle and love my electric jacket liner. One neat thing
      I have is a 'heat troller' basically instead of a simple on-off
      switch - it's a thermostat for my electric gear - it is a fancy
      electronic gizmo that controls the temp. My liner is a 65w unit and I
      rarely crank it over 1/2 way. If that keeps me warm going 65 down the
      highway I imagine you could get by with much less in a hammock.

      http://www.warmnsafe.com/heat-troller_FAQ.php#1

      The manufacturer of my liner makes portable units for people in
      wheelchairs, heavy equipment users, etc who may have to work in cold
      as well as AC adaptors...

      http://www.warmnsafe.com/

      I have no idea how long one of these would last on a stand alone
      battery... but it may be an interesting thing to try...

      Jim