      From: ginohav <ginohav@...>
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Keeping warm in winter
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, January 2, 2009, 12:58 PM

      My son spent a couple of days in Maine camping out in 10 degree

      weather. I asked him how he keep warm and he told me he used an

      emergeny car powerstart battery assy. and plugged in his small heater

      set on 500 watts and it lasted two 8 hr nights. Here's another thought,

      use a winter tarp with a Zodi propane heater. Lugging around Powerstart

      car batteries and Zodi heaters only adds a couple of more pounds

      conpared with lugging around underquits and more padding. Each style of

      camping will have different sets of parameters. The style of camping

      using heaters and winter tents will only appeal to campers who pull

      small sleds while snowshoeing in on flat terrain and could care less

      about adding an extra couple of pounds. I think using special designed

      winter hammocks is the way to go for winter hammocking rather then

      modifing a 3 season hammock for winter conditions. Just my thoughts and

      nothing is set in stone.