19633Re: Introduction

  • spidennis
    Dec 29, 2008
      Hi all, I'm introducing myself, dennis here, on south padre island texas ...... and I see a trip
      on the raquette river? cool, after years of seeing other people do that I finally did this
      exact (and popular) trip last summer. the portage at the raquette river falls is a tough one
      and wheels certainly helped out, though the first say 1/8 mile you got to carry on the
      uphill part anyway, but after that it's pretty much all downhill. I learned of the "90 miler" 3
      day race in which the long lake to tupper lake section is the day 2 part, so I got it all
      scouted out for when I do this race in sept'09. since I stay on tupper lake, doing this run
      will be logistically easy for me, I just have to have someone drop me off at the LL boat
      ramp, then I paddle all day, right up to the dock and have dinner. It'll make a great
      training session for the 3 day event. btw, the boyscouts take 5 days to do this trip, but
      they do plenty of camping along the way and needless to say, the campsites fill up fast in
      summer time. I did mention this is a popular route? anyway, with my eno
      hammock/bugnet and swt I had planned to just find any spot (on state land) to use and
      not bother trying to hunt/race for a numbered site. On tupper lake there's plenty of sites
      that are usually empty and there's always blue jay campsite with full hookups for trailers
      and such which is another popular option. I have other local area knowledge too if anyone
      is interested. btw, I spent over two months camping out in my eno this past summer, oh
      yeah!

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...> wrote:

      > Hi Rosalleen,Ratty,Holly and 60+ and -60 and/or to whom it may concern, we are doing
      a Adirondack kayak trip on Long Lake 7/10-13 and the Raquette River from Long Lake to
      Tupper (no white water) from 7/24-27 this summer. Two of us are HH users. Maybe if you
      guys join us HH will get contagious with in the club. Our sites '09 schedule should be
      finished mid January.

      > Tom Galvin
      > Commodore
      > Cold Spring Kayak Club
      > 914-213-3421
      > thebaldguyd@...
      > www.cskc.org

      age range. (I reach 59 soon.) Hubby and I have a very rarely used canoe. I would consider
      getting a second-hand kayak, after I have a chance to see if my beat-up back can handle
      paddling one.

      > I'm surprised that you went with a Safari Deluxe. They are HUGE. Even when weight is
      less of a consideration, an Expedition-sized hammock (same size as Asym Backpacker and
      Hyperlight models) is plenty for me at 5'9" and the Explorer is plenty large enough for
      hubby at 6'3." The Safari could fit 2 normal-sized people, but they would be smashed
      together... Too much "cuddling" to really sleep well for me. I can anslwer a lot of questions
      about Hennessy Hammocks, but my little comfort tricks for my Asym Backpacker would
      need to be modified to work with the much larger Safari.

      > If you want to cross paths sometime, I can see about renting/borrowing a kayak, or
      hiking around your kayaking schedule, hooking up to camp. There may be a trail that
      roughly parallels one of your water trips. Alternatively, we might recruit someone to share
      my canoe.

      > Regards,
      >
      > Rosaleen
      >

      > IntroductionPosted by: "holliscbarton" ratsmouth@aol. com holliscbartonDate: Sat Dec
      27, 2008 9:39 am ((PST)) Hiya! New member here, and new to hammock camping, but not
      to camping. I'm a 60 year old female living just south of the Adirondacks and just bought a
      HH Safari Deluxe. Not all that interested in shaving weight, but in having an alternative to
      tent camping, especially as I get older and creakier. Also, I kayak camp, so having a
      shelter that's compact and easy to put up in a variety of ways to serve as bed, chair,
      lounge and kitchen fly is important to me. I camp with a couple of other 60+ year old
      crones. We're all avid campers, paddlers and "moseyers" and just enjoy each other's good
      company in the woods and on the lakes. Looking forward to picking up ideas for making
      my HH comfortable and convenient. Anybody else out there belong to the Baby Boom
      Generation?