19622Re: Winter hammock tents

    Dec 28, 2008
      I think we have similar feelings about this and that you may have
      missed a detail in my analogy? FWIW, I was referring to making a true
      winter tent for a hammock, where the 'for a hammock' part is an
      important detail. Here is my statement: "I worry that if you try to
      make true winter tent for a hammock that it might be like trying to
      make a tank out of a sports car where you end up with something that
      doesn't do anything well."

      I do have what is arguable a true winter tent in a Stevenson 2R and
      have made and used hammock tarptents. I have used both in mildish
      winter conditions in the southeast Appalachian Mountains and can
      easily appreciate the difference between their capabilities. In my
      experience, the more I tried to make a winter tarptent for a hammock,
      the more I felt like I was trying to make a tank out of a sports car
      where I ended up with something that didn't do anything particularly
      well. It looked impressive to those that didn't appreciate wind
      could be setup, etc (and I didn't appreciate those myself until I got
      field experience with it). In the end I settled for a winter tarp
      design for a hammock that was capable of blocking direct hits from
      moderate wind but was still sports car-ish enough to not be too
      complex to setup and has lots of flexibility in how it can be setup.
      I don't claim that my WinterTarp is a substitute for a true winter
      tent-- I hope folks realize that and appreciate what tarps are capable
      of compared to aerodynamic tents with lower profiles, no way for the
      wind to get under them, and reinforcements by the way of poles,
      guyouts, etc. In moderate winter conditions in a hammock, wind is a
      major problem because of how much heat it takes away from you... that
      is what I address with my WinterTarp for a hammock. I would never
      suggest you can hang it on exposed ridgelines, etc like you can a true
      winter tent when high winds or storms are expected.

      Dave

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@...> wrote:

      > I don't think designing a winter tent will make a sports car into a
      > tank. Unless you know how to handle winter conditions in a hammock a
      > novice winter camper can quickly get into trouble. Hammock campers
      > are a small group compared to campers overall. Hammock camping in
      > winter is like taking a small boat across an ocean. Experience counts
      > and an order to make it appeal to more people you have to add a few
      > luxuries. And right now the luxury of a tent to get out of the
      > elements appeals to more winter campers. The advantages of a tent far
      > outweigh the negatives. More winter campers have frozen to death
      > trying to shave off a few oz's from their pack trying to go light.
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > ... Why not just design a winter hammock tent. I'm talking a true
      > > > winter tent and not just a modified rain fly used as a tent...
      > >
      > > I'm not sure how you are defining a true winter tent for a hammock.
      > >
      > > Hammocks set up higher off the ground and usually attach to trees.
      > > Also they require longer shelters due to the profile of a hammock.
      > > All that would seem to complicate a few things for what I think of
      > for
      > > a true winter tent for a hammock where you need to be able to handle
      > > serious winds (and from any direction) and handle large clumps of
      > snow
      > > falling from limbs.
      > >
      > > Tents are restricted to cleared flat areas that are hopefully
      > level.
      > > Hammocks inherently are not but become more restrictive along those
      > > lines the more you try to put them inside a tent like enclosure.
      > With
      > > hammocks you hope to have more site selection options to limit your
      > > exposure. I worry that if you try to make true winter tent for a
      > > hammock that it might be like trying to make a tank out of a sports
      > > car where you end up with something that doesn't do anything well.
      > >
      > > Dave Womble
      > > aka Youngblood 2000AT
      > > designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt,
      > and
      > > WinterTarp

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic