19598RE: [Hammock Camping] Electric heating pad or blankets

    Dec 8, 2008
      Ralph, I actually do have one of those 12 volt cig lighter plug-in
      blankets-works great in the car spread over my lap & legs. But I've yet to
      try it in the hammock. I'm sure it will work just fine for hammocks-at
      least for the few hours before the battery is drained! A 110v electric
      blanket should also give great warmth, as you say, as long as the outlet is
      nearby!

      I've also checked into 12 volt wired jackets & suits (a la motorcycle &
      snowmobile riders)---but again, it's the same battery problem. I've also
      done a bit of research on a circulating hot-water system with a candle flame
      heat source-but again, weight, bulk & reliability problems make such a
      system unsuitable. So that brings us back to using our bodies as the most
      reliable heat source when away from electricity-and thus the need for
      PeaPods, SnugFit UnderQuilts, TopBlankets & insulated sleeping pads to trap
      & prevent the loss of that body heat..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Author, Hammock Camping book

      Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc