19581Re: Springer Mtn Campout Dec 31, 2008

  • Barb
    Dec 5, 2008
      My husband and I both own Clark Jungle Hammocks and I can't say
      enough good things about being up off the ground. We use Big Agnes
      insulated sleeping bads and with down bags and the right clothes have
      stayed pretty cozy. I wouldn't trade my Hammock for a
      tent.....unless of course there are no trees on which to hang our
      hammocks : )

      Bathing might be a bit of a challenge, but you can hide yourself
      pretty well under the tarp of the hammock.

      I don't have any trouble dressing in my hammock, and I love that
      there are pockets outside the hammock to store anything within easy
      reach. You can sit in your hammock, slip off your boots, put them in
      a plastic bag and tuck them in a pocket on the outside of the hammock.

      Nobody should camp without a hammock. I look forward to trips so
      much more now that I found the equipment to make it more comfortable.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Bayern" <plcmark@...>
      wrote:

      > Good questions.
      >
      > > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as
      in "Bridge
      > > freezes before road surface")
      >
      > Yep, that is an issue. I use a pad inside the hammock, but it can be
      > pain. Folks who are more serious about cold weather seem to do well
      > with a quilt hung under the hammock.
      >
      > > ... enough inside space for changing clothes,
      > > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out
      on a

      > I use a Hennesey, which is a bottom entry hammock so I can, when
      > necessary, stand up 'inside' the hammock to change. It leaves my
      lower
      > legs out in the open, but who cares? I'm normally in locations
      where
      > changing out in the open is not an issue. Bathing? never tried it
      in a
      > tent or a hammock.
      >
      > > ... and whether I'd like it....
      >
      > Yep, that is the big question. For me once I tried the hammock I
      > decided to stay off the ground. This being the hammock camping
      group,
      > you'll probably find that most of use probably feel the same way.
      >

      > Mark
      >

      > On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>
      wrote:
      > > Oh, brother, wouldn't I love that! Can't make it, though. We're
      going to be
      > > in New Orleans. Darn.
      > >
      > > I'm new to the group, looking for hammock info as I'm debating
      switching
      > > from tenting/tarping to hammocking . I'm planning an AT thru-hike
      starting
      > > April 1.
      > >
      > > My ponderings about hammocking: Cold backside in cold weather (as
      in "Bridge
      > > freezes before road surface"); enough inside space for changing
      clothes,
      > > bathing, etc; and whether I'd like it.... I don't want to set out
      on a
      > > thru-hike with a system I'm not familiar with, and unless I can
      borrow one
      > > from someone to try it out, I don't want to spend money on one
      and then find
      > > I prefer tenting/tarping.
      > >
      > > But six-or-eight-legged critters and rain can't crawl under its
      edges, and
      > > you don't have to find a level site, big advantages over tarp,
      whose many
      > > uses and light weight are big advantages over the tent, which
      keeps bugs,
      > > rain, and curious glances out but weighs more and can only do one
      or at most
      > > two tricks.
      > >
      > > Decisions, decisions...
      > >
      > > MacGyver