      From: Richard Perlman <richard@...>
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] sleeping bags
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, November 21, 2008, 12:12 PM

      This is also being discussed on the backpackinglight@ yahoogroups list.

      Since it involves hammocking, I figured my answer would be appreciated
      here, too.

      Rich

      j.a. tackett wrote:

      > > my question is the choice of sleeping bag....with the use of my hennesey hammock super shelter....
      > > i know that i am going to get a rectangular syle of bag.....
      > > it was the temp choice of the bag.....

      In my experience of hammock hanging for the past 3 years (I have not
      slept on the ground since then) I could not recommend ANY rectangular
      sleeping bag. It's not like you can spread out and take advantage of
      all that extra room anyway (hammocks are rather confining by nature),
      plus it takes that much more body heat to get and keep the thing warm.

      It's inconvenient to get yourself into any sleeping bag with a hammock.
      I have 2 Hennessys and need to don the sleeping bag while standing
      through the bottom slit, then sit back, pull in my feet, etc. Add a pad
      to the mix and you can be involved in quite the wrestling match. I did
      that only once. It's no easier in a conventional (top entry)
      gathered-end hammock.

      What to do? Mummy bag, left open, feet in the foot box and drape it
      over you and tuck the sides under you. The supershelter will provide
      under body insulation.

      OR, a quilt made for hammocking which is narrower and therefor lighter,
      such as:
      http://www.jacksrbe tter.com/ Products. htm
      http://www.speerham mocks.com/ Products/ TopBlanket. htm

      > > should i go for a 0 degree @F or the 20 degree @F the difference is 1lb in weight between them...

      That depends on how warm you sleep and environmental issues, such as,
      temperature, wind, humidity, etc.

      Rich