19549Re: Speer Hammock's Holiday sale and Springer Mountain info

    Nov 19, 2008
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Sousa" <karen@...> wrote:

      > We typically try to avoid blantantly pushing our company and it's
      products
      > on this list, but wanted you all to know that the Speer Hammocks holiday
      > sale has started and will continue through December 31. Details are
      on the
      > website (www.speerhammocks.com). This is a great time to ask for that
      > special warm present so that you can join us at Springer Mountain
      for the
      > New Years Eve celebration! Hope to see you all there - details are
      on this
      > website:
      >
      > http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/Articles/Springer08.htm
      >
      > We hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday with friends and
      > family!
      >
      > Ed and Karen
      > Owners, Speer Hammoocks, inc.

      Karen,

      I've made several of these and plan to this year as well, weather
      permitting.

      Seems like the last few years we have seen the last south bound AT
      thru hiker of the year finish up. We have even had a few being the
      first north bound thru hikers starting out on NYD. They are heartier
      souls than I to be doing long distance hiking in the depths of winter
      with the short days and weather conditions in the mountains,
      particularly when winter storms hit. I certainly wouldn't recommend
      starting a north bound hike that early in the year-- in fact I would
      strongly recommend you don't unless you are dang sure you know what
      you are getting yourself into and are capable of handling it. There
      isn't much margin of error and your life will be likely be on the line
      at times.

      BYW Karen, the link on your post worked fine but the link at the
      bottom of the page it linked to didn't work for me.

      Dave
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic