      From: Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] An oversize miltary foam pad---too much of a good thing?
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 12:32 PM

      One can find almost anything on ebay with an investment of patience over days or weeks and a good selection of search terms. I wanted an oversize military type foam pad for use in my netless HH---and, my Lawson-if I ever get around to using it.

      What I found was a foam pad 72" long, 32" wide, and 1/2" thick. It cost a reasonable $12.49 but the UPS charge was $10---high from Mesa to Flagstaff but a second one only cost an additional $6 shipment charge so I ordered two. They were there the next day.

      Now, I have something that is almost too much of a good thing!!!!!!!

      As far as width---it woud do a bit of overlapping the edge of the hammock at the foot end and at the head-so, I am tempted to trim both those ends.

      Even in the hip-shoulders area----32" is a bit too generous. I am not Andre the Giant.

      Another factor---this may be the same type foam inside as the military ones---but, the outside has a more slippery texture. I can see both plusses and minuses in that feature.

      Any ideas????

      Here are links to photographs showing the new foam pad compared to a standard military issue one.

      http://s457. photobucket. com/albums/ qq297/flagstaffb ackpackers/ ?action=view& current=CIMG0463 b.jpg

      http://s457. photobucket. com/albums/ qq297/flagstaffb ackpackers/ ?action=view& current=CIMG0464 .jpg