19468Re: Places to camp in the uk (or to be precise in the south east)

  • sjedwardson
    Sep 24, 2008
      Thanks for the reply, just a daft question but whats a fire box? also
      the places that you have stayed in that allow both hammock and fire,
      could you forward me the details please as I would love to have a bit
      of a range of places to stay other than one campsite I know in the
      south downs (Blackberry Wood - which is excellent)

      Thanks

      Sam

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "coraclenigel"
      <coraclenigel@...> wrote:

      > Hi Sam
      >
      > I have had much success stealth hammocking on the South Downs and
      the New Forest
      > which is just over the water from me. Usually if you are discreet
      you can usually get a
      > hammock in almost any where and the North Downs may yield some good
      spots. I would
      > also expect there to be some good woodland areas in Kent worth a
      look and if you ask
      > you may get a regular spot. I use my hammock when I go out with the
      canoe and from
      > the water you can find some real good places to hang.
      >
      > I also know of a woodland near Hereford where one can hammock and
      also have a fire.
      > Another fire alternative is to use a 'fire box' which as well as
      being more economical will
      > leave little trace.
      >
      > Nigel
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
      <sam.edwardson@> wrote:

      > > Thanks for the response, i'll give it a try.
      > >
      > > Sam
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "JC" <cyberdine.systems@>
      wrote:

      > > > Sam,
      > > >
      > > > Also originally from Essex. Being a rural county. it's always
      good to
      > > > get friendly with your local farmers. i have had success in the
      county
      > > > over a number of years. As long as you ask the permission of the
      land
      > > > owner and remember not to camp near any livestock and discuss
      the low
      > > > impact of hammock camping. Most farmers won't mind. Fire
      lighting is
      > > > something some farmers allow if you show you are repsponsible and
      > > > carefull not to make fires near any leaf litter, crops. I can't
      give
      > > > farms to you as it can depend on the time of the year what crops,
      > > > livestock they have. But I've had a 100% record just turning up
      on my
      > > > bike with a hammock and a friendly respectfull approach to the
      farmers.

      > > > John
      > > >
      > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"

      All and