      From: Cara Lin Bridgman <cara.lin@...>
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Tyvek as undercover or weathershield
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, September 7, 2008, 10:00 PM

      The group might be interested to know that the tyvek I had turned into
      an undercover turned out to be worse than no undercover. We had lots of
      cold fog (i.e. clothes hung up to dry were wetter in the morning, having
      collected water from the fog) on this 6-night trip (5 nights at
      elevations >3400 m). During this fog, I got enough condensation on both
      sides of the tyvek, that the tyvek ended up lowering the effectiveness
      of the Nest. After I removed the tyvek, things warmed up. This was
      tyvek sold by TarpTent as a groundcloth for the DoubleRainbow
      (dimensions are almost perfect match for the JRB quilts), so probably is
      not the sort with the little holes punched through. This experience
      with the tyvek makes me conclude that in truly humid conditions (rolling
      fogs, steady drizzle), a space blanket probably won't help either--at
      least, it will have to be between me and the Nest and there will be
      condensation on my side of the blanket.

      CL