1940Tarp Size

  • Risk
    Jul 1, 2003
      "Aaron" wrote:
      > I've come to the conclusion that the fly that comes with the
      > HH UL A-sym is way too small for my needs. It rained today and I
      set
      > up the fly by itself and sat under it for a while. In a substantial
      > rain with wind there isn't enough "moving around room" for me under
      > there. My intention at this point is to call Hennessy and discuss
      my
      > concern with them. If they are willing to take the fly back in
      > exchange for contribution to a larger one (not diamond shaped), I
      > will consider keeping it, but it depends on how much it weighs. I
      > don't think it should even be a pound, but I think that the 8x10
      > foot pitched as an "A" frame over the hammock sounds better for me,
      > rather than having it as a diamond shape overlapping from the
      > corners.
      > -Aaron

      Hi Aaron,

      It is interesting that we came to the same conclusion. I also sent
      my HH back. (BTW, the Hennesseys were really great about it.
      Wonderful service!)

      I admire your experiment. Real data is more useful than thinking
      about what might be. Your stove development is based on experiments,
      research, and improvement.

      Shane taught me something worth knowing about hammocks: don't worry
      about only getting one. Especially if you pull the old sewing
      machine out, there is room for oodles of experiments here. I
      have/have had a number of hammocks over the last 6 months. I have
      built them for as little as $30. And each one has taught me
      something new. I strongly recommend starting with the hammock Ed
      describes in his book... the directions for which are worth the
      price of the book.

      As far as the fly goes, I went directly from the HH diamond, to a 10
      x 10 ft (305 x 305 cm) silnylon tarp. It works great, but I was a
      bit concerned about the weight for my AT adventure. It was 18.5 oz
      (524 gm) with all tie outs. The hammock I was using at that time was
      30 oz (850 gm) including a taco shell insulator.

      Next stage was to test a silnylon tarp half that size, 5 x 10 feet
      (153 x 305 cm) which weighs 10.4 oz (295 gm). Hammock weight has
      also dropped and design has improved. Weight is now 19.6 oz (556 gm)
      for a total weight of 31 oz (879 gm) for both hammock and tarp.

      I find the narrow tarp to be dry even during horizontal raindrop
      storms - tested up to 30 mph with gusts higher. I would not try to
      cook in those winds, but for the average rainfall, there is enough
      room to pack or cook under the tarp while sitting in the hammock.
      This last point is important. While I can easily sit under the tarp
      on a tyvek square, it is much more comfortable to sit under the tarp
      using the hammock as a seat. This (besides sleeping) is where
      hammock camping shines in my eyes. Camping with this camp chair is
      much more comfortable for me than sitting on a rock or on the
      ground.

      OK... enough proselytizing.

      Have a fun day.