19261[Hammock Camping] Re: would this work to hold line?

    Aug 9, 2008
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Keiser" <bk2@...> wrote:

      > i don't understand, what is the matter with using a knot?

      I think there are times when knots work best, times when devices work
      best, and times when it is the proverbial six of one, half a dozen of
      the other. When there is no clear advantage, there almost is because
      you don't have to pack knots, they don't get lost, and they aren't
      near the potential weapon if you swing them around on the end of cord
      or webbing. Sometimes it seems devices require knots to secure them
      that are about as complex as the knots they replace and the reason
      people give for using them is that they don't want to mess with
      learning knots. Other times devices can do things that knots simply
      can't do.

      I suspect the choice of whether to 'knot or not' often boils down to
      what is the neatest fad at the moment. In one sense our gear becomes
      our toys or hobbies or whatever and we want what interest us at some
      particular time and what we think impresses our buddies. No real
      problem however you want to do it if you understand the tradeoffs and
      it does what you need it to do.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood AT2000
      WinterTarp.