19255RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: would this work to hold line?

  • Carey Parks
    Aug 8, 2008
      Nothing! I think people just have this concept that knots are hard to tie
      and harder to untie. Which can be true if you don't choose the right knot
      for the purpose, and the line you are tying it in. The spectra stuff is
      interesting, because some of it doesn't want to take a sharp bend that some
      knots require to cinch tight. That said, there are knots that will work.

      I'd say if you learn a bowline, tautline or midshipman's hitch, rolling or
      timber hitch, and a butterfly knot you're good on line.

      Knots in to be tied in webbing are different than knots for braided line.
      The webbing likes to be kept flat(ish) if you want to untie it. A water knot
      is a simple and useful knot for webbing.

      That should get a backpacker thru most of what they would encounter. But if
      one gets interested in the study of knots, there's all kinds of things that
      can be done, like fashion a rescue harness our of one of your tree huggers
      for example.

      Remember - if you can't tie a good knot, tie plenty of them!!