19253[Hammock Camping] Re: would this work to hold line?

  • Bill Keiser
    Aug 8, 2008
      i don't understand, what is the matter with using a knot?
      a few years ago i went to a boat show. one of the booths there had a
      buxom young lady promoting their product, a nylon device that fastened
      two ropes together. basically it was a plastic split bolt like they
      use for electrical cable.
      she fashionably demonstrated how it worked by inserting two ropes
      into the slot and tightening the nut. when i asked her how that was
      better than using a knot, the demonstration kind of came to an awkward
      pause. she suggested that some people don't know how to tie knots. i
      suggested that people like that have no business on a boat. she was
      very nice and gave me a free sample. i have it around here somewhere.
      i hope i can find it on a cold rainy night on the deck of a boat when
      i need to fasten two ropes together.
      bk

      > Looking through a sailing catalog, I came across this piece of
      > hardware. It looks like it would work on a hammock line -
      >
      > http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d273000/e270515.asp

      > For almost the same price, you can get a pair of straps from JRB
      > with their new AL tri-glides. I used them with a pair of
      > lightweight climbing
      > carabiners to hang my HH in the Poconos a few weeks ago.

      > <http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Hammock%20Strap%20Set.htm>
    • Show all 42 messages in this topic