      Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 10:30 PM
      Subject: RE: Hammock Camping reality seting in

      Hi Chet,

      I have a Hennessy Hammock which I am gear testing for Backpackgeartest.org     url is:   http://www.backpackgeartest.org/
      This was a new venture for me. I do not have any problem getting in the hammock.  If the weather is mild then I use my sleeping bag as a quilt with a foot pocket (do not use a mummy) and possibly my Mt. Washington 3/4 Pad, depending on the temperature.  The sleeping bag is no problem to throw over you as a quilt. I usually put it in first,  push it up to the head end.
      The Pad I put in and just fold a quarter of it up, then going backwards into the opening, I sit on the pad, flip my legs up the and the hammock closes and I also fold down the pad at this time.  No problems here.

      Now for colder weather, here is my set up:  I take a Large Windshield Reflector and my 3/4 Mt. Washington Pad and my WM Ultralight good to 25degrees F. Again used as a quilt.  I also wear two layers on my bottom half, first Capline long underwear plus a pair of fleece Pants, On the top I wear longsleeve Capiline Underwear, Patagonia Expedition top Underwear and my GoLite "Coal Parka" and hat and gloves.I also wear heavy socks and my down booties. I am very good to 25degrees in this set up in the mountains and in a snowstorm.  I have no problem putting the Windshield Reflector and the Mt. Washington Pad in the Hammock first and go in as described in the first para.  Just fold up the bottom quarter of both and unfold as you swing your knees up.  Everything seems to stay in place as I move around. I sleep diagonally in the Hennessy Hammock and sleep on my side.

      I also have the hammock set up on my patio and have been trying to figure out ways to sleep at colder temperatures around
      12 degrees.  We live in Idaho in the mountains.  With all the clothing I describe, in a tent on the ground, I would be very warm.
      However, the problem here in the hammock is the cold coming up under you.  Even in your sleeping bag, you compress all the down and it is not a good insulator under your body..I am still searching.

      Cheers,   Marge (the old gal).