19059Re: [Hammock Camping] A place to hang in the Naples, FL area?

  • Sandy Kramer
    May 8, 2008
      Three weekends ago, I drove to Monument Lake on the Tamiami Trail and
      a Big Cypress CG...not wilderness and no hanging, but they DO have
      flush toilets 'cept they were doing controlled burns so we had to
      backtrack.

      Ended up at the Midway CG, which has (to my amazement) electricity
      (but no water cept at the bathhouse - flush toilets again!. Since I
      was equipped with small battery packs to power my 12volt Endless
      Breeze fan and the popup has propane, I put in $10 ($8 is for tent
      sites with nada and $20 for RV sites with electric) in the "honor
      box."

      It was cool in the evening but got quite hot in the day time.

      Interesting note: they had put purple martin gourd condos and they
      are apparently doing a good job of keeping the mozzie population
      down...at least for now..not sure in mid-summer

      sandy in miami

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <Carey@...>
      wrote:

      > Yeah, that's a tough one as the state parks here are great and all
      over the
      > place. All the good park land has become state park which is good
      if you
      > don't hang. One of the main things they stress when you arrive
      is "Dont tie
      > ANYTHING to the trees."
      >
      > I don't know if you kayak, but mostly I paddle out to the 1000
      Islands area
      > and hang in Mangroves on the beaches. Either in the Everglades
      National Park
      > or just north of it in a free-for-all area. When camping with a
      group, say
      > in Loxahatchee over near Fort Lauderdale, I pitched a tarp and used
      my HH as
      > a bug shield under it, tying the netting up to the ridge line I set.
      >
      > I have see some private camp grounds out east of Naples/Marco on
      the Tamiami
      > trail but I don't recall the name right off. And I don't know if
      they allow
      > hanging.
      >
      > You can walk into the Big Cypress and hang if you want. National
      Forest
      > people don't prohibit hammocks. It's still dry season so it's not a
      swamp
      > walk yet. But the swamp angels are starting as it's getting warmer.
      There's