18998Re: Sheath Knives

  • thomassen_ralph
    Apr 21, 2008
      >Hey Risk,

      I agree with you on the utility of a heavy fixed blade knife. I have
      several very nice tactical folders, but no way would I bang on them
      with a limb. I would jsut break the mechanism. And, without going in
      to details, anyone with a back ground in hunting will tell that a
      good skinner is essential. But, I tihnk one of the reasons the BSA
      advocates using a folding knife is the fact they are more secure, and
      there is lesschance of an accident in a fall. Atleast that is what I
      was told and have read. That being said, I fell out of a climbing
      deer stand with a Buck G96 on my hip. I landed on my side and had a
      huge bruise and cut on my leg. Thanks to Buck who makes pretty sturdy
      sheathes (and knives) the knife did not pentrate the sheath. If it
      had, I could have been in trouble. Has anyone ever had a folder open
      up in a simlar circumstance??

      Oh, sorry to get off topic. Hammocks, lets see..... My daugthers just
      bought some camo cloth with a butterfly print. Too cute, huh??
      Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
      Troop 14 Griffin, Ga

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic