18996Sheath Knives

    Apr 21 2:12 PM
      Interesting note on sheath knives. Sorry for the topic wandering a
      little from hammocks.

      Despite the current lack of conventional favorable words for sheath
      knives, I find that the one I carry is the most used item in my kit. I
      probably have a dozen great folders, but for one daily task, the
      non-folder is head and shoulders better: For splitting small wood for a
      campfire. Especially when wood is wet, fires are so much easier to start
      when I split up a 1 inch diameter stick into a bunch of little splits.

      The way I do the splitting is to hold the edge of the knife at the end
      of the stick. I hit the back of the knife with another stick, used as a
      mallet. Once the knife is cutting through the stick, I hold onto the
      handle and hit the back of the blade near the point. That causes a lot
      of bending stress at the joint for a folder.

      When I have done this with folding knives with a locking mechanism, they
      have sometimes broken or jammed.

      I wonder when the BSA became unfavorable toward sheath knives. One of my
      treasured possessions is the BSA sheath knife that my father used for a
      short time when he was a child. The knife still works great, though I
      replaced the sheath several years ago.

      BTW, I usually carry my sheath knife with its sheath on a leather shoe
      string around my neck as a pendant. The knife is always handy, does not
      get snagged on brush, and is not intimidating to folks.

      Recently, my favorite knives have been Mora knives made in Europe. They
      are cheap, strong, and light. It comes with a sturdy plastic sheath
      which I cover with a light leather sheath. That way, the knife will not
      go sticking me in the ribs if I fall.

      I even sleep with the knife. On my website, I report a bleak November
      night when I was working out the concept of the travel pod. I woke in
      the dark and had some fear that I would not be able to unfasten all the
      buttons I had used to close the travel pod in that tight prototype. (I
      now use a looser fit and a zipper) I felt a little claustrophobic and
      wished that I was carrying something to help me escape. Result: I sleep
      in my hammock with a chest sheathed knife all the time. Added
      advantage: If I get turned out of my campsite in the middle of the night
      by Zombies, at least I will have a useful tool to begin the survival
      process.

      How did I use a knife this last weekend camping? I made a couple hiking
      sticks. I made three fires using the method described above. I made some
      toothpicks. I made a hook to take the top off my pot. I made some
      chopsticks when I was offered some hot noodles on a cold morning. I made
      some "match sticks" by splitting some dry wood and then dipping the end
      of the match stick sized split in the melted wax of a candle and then
      lighting the wax. This is a great way to start of fire and it gives me
      an infinite number of "matches" once my candle gets started.

      Enough rambling. BSA and sheath knives. Who would have ever guessed?

      BTW, I never carry an axe or a hatchet. I often carry a very lightweight
      retractable saw made by Gerber. I think it is a great buy for about $10.

      Risk