      Posted by: "thomassen_ralph" thomassen_ralph@... thomassen_ralph
      Date: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:35 pm ((PDT))

      Hey, Ralph-

      Before you make plans to have your Scouts carry hatchets, check the "Guide
      to Safe Scouting" and instructions for using wood tools. (Was "Totenship" a
      card kids earned?) It's been quite a few years, but I think it was against
      policy for my Scouts to use hatchets, and small axes had to be used in
      well-prescribed circumstances. We were encouraged to stick with saws, and
      used a small axe or maybe a hatchet only for splitting wood using the
      "contact method." A (folding) Sven saw wasn't too bad to carry, especially
      when weight could be divvied up. Maintainers that come upon seem to use
      saws, and nippers quite a bit.

      Rosaleen
      (SNIP)
      Has anyone experience with light weight shovels, bow saws, and/or
      hatchets. We have to do a conservation/trail improvement project on
      our 50 miles hike to earn the badge. This is not something a hiker
      would normally carry, but we will have to tote it.
      Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
      Troop 14 Griffin, GA
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic