18983Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Orange trash bags.

  • Mark A. Andrews
    Apr 21, 2008
      A bright orange trash bag can help in an emergency, but please don't use
      one as a regular part of your gear (poncho, rainfly, solar still).

      One of the principles of Leave No Trace camping is "Be Respectful of
      Other Visitors". No one likes to see orange specs dotting the back
      country (or the front country for that matter). Imagine walking along
      the trail and seeing bright orange rainfly's throughout the landscape.
      At first, it would be humorous, then it would just get old.

      For an emergency poncho, grab one that costs $1.00 at your local
      discount store. It will be lighter than a garbage bag and is usually
      clear. For a solar still, you really need a clear sheet of plastic,
      which you now have as your emergency poncho. You can also use it for a
      makeshift rainfly and it's not as likely to be noticed by other visitors
      on the trail.

      Sometimes being highly visible is not a good thing. Sometimes others
      don't want to see you and sometimes you don't want to be seen.

      Mark Andrews
      Scoutmaster, Troop 219
      Leave No Trace Trainer
      Tree Hugger (hammock, that is)

      thomassen_ralph wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Linda Ellis <lellis4563@...>
      > wrote:
      > I can't recall ever seeing orange trash bags. I think it would make
      > collecting trash feel jsut like Trick or Treating. Ok, maybe not that
      > fun, but it does feel good to clean up Mother Nature . Great idea
      > though!!. I have just been stealing the ones my wife buys for around
      > the house. I will look for them on my next WallyWorld trip.

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic