18907RE: [Hammock Camping] Pros and Cons

  • Carey Parks
    Apr 7, 2008
      Hi ginohav ( and Cara),

      Cara's got the list of cons about right, but I'd like to add that the
      "knees" issue is easily prevented by placing a stuff sack or your backpack
      and it's remaining contents under your knees while in the hammock. You have
      to put that stuff someplace for the night anyway. Doing so allows your legs
      to bend the proper way and the knee issue is solved. No extra gear or
      weight. Due to weather and a rude cottonmouth I once spent 12 -1/2 hours in
      my hammock. On my back the whole time, and was in no hurry to get out in the

      YMMV. Hammock's are not for everyone, even if there are trees. I don't know
      why not since I love it, but maybe it's the mental adjustment from tenting
      (a small portable house you carry with you, where you can put your stuff and
      close the door) to hammocking (what do you mean I just leave my stuff
      hanging on the tree or on the ground under me?) I think that might be the
      thing that puts people off hammocks. Not comfort or practicality, but "it
      just ain't right." Cross that boundary and the other issues are solveable.
      Except the cold weather performance. But if you are going out in winter or
      above tree line, take a tent or a tarp.

      Happy hanging!