18906Re: [Hammock Camping] Pros and Cons

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Apr 7, 2008
      Knees. This is probably the biggest negative. Many people love the
      comfort of a hammock--except for their knees. They tend to get some
      discomfort from slight hyper-extension.

      Cold. You'll find there's an awful lot of discussion on how to stay
      warm in a hammock.

      Weight. If you are counting ounces and grams, a hammock can make for a
      heavier pack than a tarp and sleeping mat. As the temperature drops,
      hammock weight (especially the paraphernalia to keep you warm) increases.

      Trees. Hammocks are perfect when there are trees. Otherwise, you have
      to get creative. This means, the search image for a hammock camp site
      is a lot different from a tent one. So, if you are trying to travel
      with tenters (aka ground sleepers), you may have trouble finding a place
      to hang.

      Laws. Lots of places don't want anything tied to a tree (i.e. some
      parks in Florida).

      Frankly, concerns about becoming a hammock burrito for a bear is hardly
      worth including in a list of cons. Any hammock comes with a bug net or
      can extremely easily be equipped with one, so flying bugs should not be
      included in a list of cons. There are some slight concerns about
      mosquitoes biting through the hammock, but this is easily dealt with by
      adding another layer of cloth to you (clothes) or the hammock or by
      treating the hammock with permethrin.

      CL

      ginohav wrote:
      > Hi,I'm new to this group and love backpacking and stealth camping and
      > I've heard all the pros about hammock camping, but what about the cons?
      > I've read some people on other sites are worried about bears and flying
      > bugs eating you alive in a hammock.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic