18858Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Camping In the Eastern North West.

  • Blake Robert
    Mar 13, 2008
      I have never lived in your new area but I have often
      visited there.

      In Spokane-there is a really nice park with camping on
      the Spokane River---both sides of the river are in the
      park. About a 1-2 mile drive from the nearest
      grocery-a nice base for enjoying Spokane. I was last
      there long before taking up hammock camping so I did
      not notice of the trees are right for hammocks---but,
      there are lots of trees.

      Couer d'Alene, Idaho (20 miles east of Spokane) is a
      wonderful place to visit with its lake. Adjacent to
      the big resort (ESE) is Tubbs Hill with three levels
      of trails-one crossing a cable suspension bridge. I
      saw Canadians picking blue berries there---they called
      them sasketoons. I assume that is Canadian for
      blueberry. I once saw a tent set up on the hill in
      plain sight of the resort parking lot so maybe camping
      is legal. At least, it is not posted. As of my last
      visit. If still not posted against camping-I would
      still be unobtrussive. I would set up camp after dark
      and break camp as it gets light in the morning. There
      is a National Forest campground just off the east
      shore of the lake-20 minutes drive past the city. I
      seem to recall that their ramada pipes MIGHT be
      suitable for hammocks. If not-the drive is not
      lost---just continue on the same dirt road as the USFS
      campground for disperssed camping with lots of trees.
      Coming back into town---there was a motel that had
      coin operated showers.

      I have not been in eastern Washington north of Spokane
      but I have been in nearby Idaho. Lots of trees and
      lakes-such as Round Lake and Priest Lake.

      If you wander south into Oregon----Wallawa Lake is a
      beautiful area. Not only is there Wallawa Lake State
      Park---but, the famous Mirror Lake is there---you'll
      see the postcards. That made me wish I had been
      carrying backpacking gear.

      One trip you HAVE to make is Whidbey Island. There are
      several nice parks there incl. the fortifications that
      were used in An Officer and a Gentleman. Remember the
      leading man doing pushups? Pensacola Naval Air Station
      (where I was born) would not let them film there so
      they went to Whidbey Island instead. You find the same
      type 1898 fortifications at Pensacola Bay.

      Leaving Whidbey by the Deception Pass Bridge-you will
      pass Erie Lake on your left. Take the next turn to the
      left-find the right bearing road to the top of Erie
      Mountain. One of the great views of the NW that can be
      reached easily by car. To the WSW you'll see the
      Olympic Mountain range, to the east you'll see the
      Cascades. If it is really clear-to the south you'll
      see Mt. Ranier just east of Tacoma. Folks from the
      east always tell me their mountains are just as high
      as western mountains in terms of rise from the
      surrounding terrain-but, Mt. Ranier rises to over
      14,400 feet just 3-4 dozen (as-the-crow-flies) miles
      from high tide-line of the Bay---sea level.

      If I wasn't living in Flagstaff, I would envy you.

      No Lyme disease here. Be sure to close pants legs
      against Lyme disease carrying ticks. It has been many
      years since I stopped on a trail in Glacier Park and
      let deer lick the salty sweat off my hands and arms.

      RB: See below

      Mount Rainier
      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      (Redirected from Mount Ranier)
      Jump to: navigation, search
      For other uses, see Mount Rainier (disambiguation).
      Mount Rainier

      Mount Rainier as viewed from the northeast.
      Elevation 14,411 ft (4,392 m)
      Location Washington State, USA
      Range Cascade Range
      Prominence 13,210 ft (4,026 m) Ranked 21st
      Coordinates 46°51′11.9″N
      121°45′35.6″W / 46.853306,
      Topo map USGS Mount Rainier West
      Type Stratovolcano
      Volcanic arc/belt Cascade Volcanic Arc
      Age of rock 500,000 years
      Last eruption 1854
      First ascent 1870 by Hazard Stevens and P. B. Van
      Easiest route rock/ice climb via Disappointment
      Mount Rainier is an active[1] stratovolcano (also
      known as a composite volcano) in Pierce County,
      Washington, located 54 miles (87 km) southeast of
      Seattle, Washington, in the United States. It is the
      highest peak in the Cascade Range and Cascade Volcanic
      Arc at 14,410 feet (4,392 m). The mountain and the
      surrounding area are protected within Mount Rainier
      National Park. With 26 major glaciers, Mount Rainier
      is the most heavily glaciated peak in the lower 48
      states with 35 square miles (91 km²) of permanent
      snowfields and glaciers. The summit is topped by two
      volcanic craters, each over 1,000 feet (300 m) in
      diameter with the larger east crater overlapping the
      west crater. Geothermal heat from the volcano keeps
      areas of both crater rims free of snow and ice, and
      has formed an extensive network of glacier caves
      within the ice-filled craters. A small crater lake,
      the highest in North America, occupies the lowest
      portion of the west crater below more than 160 feet
      (50 m) of ice and is accessible only via the caves.

      LocationMount Rainier was originally known as Talol,
      or Tahoma, from the Lushootseed word
      təqʷúʔbəʔ ("mother of
      waters") spoken by the Puyallup. It has a topographic
      prominence of 13,210 feet (4,026 m), greater than that
      of K2. It is a prominent feature of the southern
      landscape in most of the Seattle metropolitan area. On
      clear days, it can also be seen from as far away as
      Portland, Oregon, and Victoria, British Columbia.
      Because of its scenic dominance, Seattle-Tacoma-area
      residents often refer to it simply as "the Mountain."

      The Carbon, Puyallup, Mowich, Nisqually, and Cowlitz
      Rivers begin at eponymous glaciers of Mount Rainier.
      The sources of the White River are Winthrop, Emmons,
      and Fryingpan Glaciers. The White, Carbon, and Mowich
      join the Puyallup River, which discharges into
      Commencement Bay at Tacoma; the Nisqually empties into
      Puget Sound east of Lacey; and the Cowlitz joins the
      Columbia River between Kelso and Longview.

      Contents [hide]
      1 Geological history
      2 Human history
      2.1 Naming controversy
      3 Subsidiary peaks
      4 Climbing and recreation
      5 Washington state quarter
      6 See also
      7 References
      8 External links

      [edit] Geological history
      Mount Rainier's earliest lavas are over 840,000 years
      old and are part of the Lily Formation (2.9 million to
      840,000 years ago). The early lavas formed a
      "proto-Rainier" or an ancestral cone prior to the
      present-day cone. The present cone is over 500,000
      years old.[3] The volcano is highly eroded, with
      glaciers on its slopes, and appears to be made mostly
      of andesite. Rainier likely once stood even higher
      than today at about 16,000 feet (4,900 m) before a
      major debris avalanche and the resulting Osceola
      Mudflow 5,000 years ago.

      Hazard map
      One of many emergency evacuation route signs in case
      of volcanic eruption or lahar around Mt. Rainier.In
      the past, Rainier has had large debris avalanches, and
      has also produced enormous lahars (volcanic mudflows)
      due to the large amount of glacial ice present. Its
      lahars have reached all the way to the Puget Sound.
      Around 5,000 years ago, a large chunk of the volcano
      slid away and that debris avalanche helped to produce
      the massive Osceola Mudflow, which went all the way to
      the site of present-day Tacoma and south Seattle.[4]
      This massive avalanche of rock and ice took out the
      top 1,600 feet (500 m) of Rainier, bringing its height
      down to around 14,100 feet (4,300 m). About 530 to 550
      years ago, the Electron Mudflow occurred, although
      this was not as large-scale as the Osceola Mudflow.

      After the major collapse 5,000 years ago, subsequent
      eruptions of lava and tephra built up the modern
      summit cone until about as recently as 1,000 years
      ago. As many as 11 Holocene tephra layers have been

      The most recent recorded volcanic eruption was between
      1820 and 1854, but many eyewitnesses reported eruptive
      activity in 1858, 1870, 1879, 1882 and 1894 as
      well.[5] As of 2008, there is no imminent risk of
      eruption, but geologists expect that the volcano will
      erupt again.

      Lahars from Rainier pose the most risk to life and
      property, as many communities lie atop older lahar
      deposits. Not only is there much ice atop the volcano,
      the volcano is also slowly being weakened by
      hydrothermal activity. According to Geoff Clayton, a
      geologist with RH2, a repeat of the Osceola mudflow
      would destroy Enumclaw, Kent, Auburn, and most or all
      of Renton.[4] Such a mudflow might also reach down the
      Duwamish estuary and destroy parts of downtown
      Seattle, and cause tsunamis in Puget Sound and Lake
      Washington. According to USGS, about 150,000 people
      live on top of old lahar deposits of Rainier.[1]
      Rainier is also capable of producing pyroclastic flows
      as well as lava.

      Northwest side of Mount Rainier seen from Tacoma.
      Liberty Cap is the visible summit from this view,
      sitting atop the Mowich Face.
      Mount Rainier from space
      [edit] Human history

      The three summits of Mount Rainier: Liberty Cap,
      Columbia Crest, and Point SuccessMount Rainier was
      first known by the Native Americans as Talol, Tahoma,
      or Tacoma, from the Lushootseed word
      təqʷúʔbəʔ ("mother of
      waters") spoken by the Puyallup. At the time of
      European contact, the river valleys and other areas
      near the mountain were inhabited by many Pacific
      Northwest tribes who hunted and gathered berries in
      the forests and mountain meadows. These included the
      Nisqually, Cowlitz, Yakama, Puyallup, and Muckleshoot.

      Captain George Vancouver reached Puget Sound in 1792
      and became the first European to see the mountain. He
      named it in honour of his friend, Rear Admiral Peter

      In 1833, Dr. William Fraser Tolmie explored the area
      looking for medicinal plants. He was followed by other
      explorers seeking challenge. Hazard Stevens and P. B.
      Van Trump received a hero's welcome in the streets of
      Olympia after their successful summit climb in 1870.
      John Muir climbed Mount Rainier in 1888, and although
      he enjoyed the view, he conceded that it was best
      appreciated from below. Muir was one of many who
      advocated protecting the mountain. In 1893, the area
      was set aside as part of the Pacific Forest Reserve in
      order to protect its physical/economic resources:
      timber and watersheds.

      Citing the need to also protect scenery and provide
      for public enjoyment, railroads and local businesses
      urged the creation of a national park in hopes of
      increased tourism. On March 2, 1899, President William
      McKinley established Mount Rainier National Park as
      America's fifth national park. Congress dedicated the
      new park "for the benefit and enjoyment of the people;
      and...for the preservation from injury or spoliation
      of all timber, mineral deposits, natural curiosities,
      or wonders within said park, and their retention in
      their natural condition."

      In 1998, the United States Geological Survey began
      putting together the Mount Rainier Volcano Lahar
      Warning System to assist in the emergency evacuation
      of the Puyallup River valley in the event of a
      catastrophic debris flow. It is now run by the Pierce
      County Department of Emergency Management. Tacoma, at
      the mouth of the Puyallup, is only 37 miles (60 km)
      west of Rainier, and moderately sized towns such as
      Puyallup and Orting are only 27 miles (43 km) and 20
      miles (32 km) away, respectively.

      [edit] Naming controversy

      1907 Rainier Beer advertisementAlthough "Rainier" had
      been considered the official name of the mountain,
      Theodore Winthrop, in his posthumously published 1862
      travel book The Canoe and the Saddle, claimed the
      indigenous name of the mountain was "Tacoma" and
      afterwards, both names were used interchangeably,
      although "Mt. Tacoma" was preferred in the city of

      In 1890, the United States Board on Geographic Names
      declared that the mountain would be known as
      "Rainier". Following this in 1897, the Pacific Forest
      Reserve became the Mount Rainier Forest Reserve, and
      the national park was established two years later.
      Despite this, there was still a movement to change the
      mountain's name to "Tacoma" and Congress was still
      considering a resolution to change the name as late as

      After Rainier Brewing Company resumed producing
      "Rainier Beer" after the end of Prohibition and its
      advertisements became ubiquitous in the Seattle-Tacoma
      area, a rumor began circulating that the brewery's
      owner, Emil Sick, had bribed a Washington state
      committee with free beer to promote the name
      "Rainier". This, however, is an urban legend and can
      still be heard today among Tacoma residents who
      preferred the alternate name.[6] Sick did, however,
      purchase the local baseball team and renamed them to
      be the Seattle Rainiers for this purpose.[7]

      [edit] Subsidiary peaks
      The broad top of Mount Rainier contains three named
      summits. The highest is called Columbia Crest. The
      second highest summit is Point Success, 14,158 feet
      (4,315 m), at the southern edge of the summit plateau,
      atop the ridge known as Success Cleaver. It has a
      topographic prominence of about 138 feet (42 m), so it
      is not considered a separate peak. The lowest of the
      three summits is Liberty Cap, 14,112 feet (4,301 m),
      at the northwestern edge, which overlooks Liberty
      Ridge, the Sunset Amphitheater, and the dramatic
      Willis Wall. Liberty Cap has a prominence of 492 feet
      (150 m), and so would qualify as a separate peak under
      most strictly prominence-based rules. A prominence
      cutoff of 400 feet (122 m) is commonly used in
      Washington state.[8] However it is not usually
      considered a separate peak, due to the massive size of
      Mount Rainier, relative to which a 492 foot (150 m)
      drop is not very large.

      High on the eastern flank of Mount Rainier is a peak
      known as Little Tahoma, 11,138 feet (3,395 m), an
      eroded remnant of the earlier, much higher, Mount
      Rainier. It has a prominence of 858 feet (262 m), and
      it is almost never climbed in direct conjunction with
      Columbia Crest, so it is usually considered a separate
      peak. If considered separately from Mt. Rainier,
      Little Tahoma would be the third highest Mountain peak
      in Washington.

      Mountaineers descending from the summit avoid
      crevasses above Emmons Flats Camp.
      [edit] Climbing and recreation
      Mountain climbing on Mount Rainier is difficult; it
      includes climbing on the largest glaciers in the U.S.
      south of Alaska. Most climbers require two to three
      days to reach the summit. Climbing teams require
      experience in glacier travel, self-rescue, and
      wilderness travel. About 8,000 to 13,000 people
      attempt the climb each year,[9] about 90% via routes
      from Camp Muir on the southeast flank.[10] Most of the
      rest ascend Emmons Glacier via Camp Schurman on the
      northeast. About half of the attempts are successful,
      with weather and conditioning being the most common
      reasons for failure. About three mountaineering deaths
      each year occur due to rock and ice fall, avalanche,
      falls, and hypothermia associated with severe weather.

      The north face of Mount Rainier (1932)Hiking,
      photography, and camping are popular in the park.
      Hiking trails, including the Wonderland Trail, a 93
      miles (150 km) circumnavigation of the peak provide
      access to the backcountry. Mount Rainier is also
      popular for winter sports, including snowshoeing and
      cross-country skiing. In summer, visitors pass through
      vast meadows of wildflowers, on trails emanating from
      historic Paradise Inn.

      [edit] Washington state quarter
      The Washington state quarter, which was released on
      April 11, 2007, features Mount Rainier and a salmon.

      [edit] See also
      Wikimedia Commons has media related to:
      Mount RainierMount Rainier National Park
      Mountain peaks of North America
      Mountain peaks of the United States
      Cascade Volcanoes
      Cascade Range

      --- Paul Marin <adventurenw32@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I'm new to hammock camping and can't wait to hit
      > the trail. I made the wonderful discovery of
      > hammock's in late 06 when I still lived on the East
      > Coast. I got to do 1 short trip to a State Park in
      > Va. (False Cape) with my shinny new hammock before
      > my wonderful wife announced that we were pregnant
      > and she wanted to move back home. Home took this
      > Southern East Coast Boy 2500 mile too "Inland"
      > Eastern Washington. I spent most of 07 working,
      > researching areas to hike and camp in, and playing
      > dad to be. Now, in 08 I've secured a couple of
      > hall passes but am still not sure of good locations
      > to go hammock camping at. Anyone, have an
      > suggestions, blogs, clubs, etc.. In Eastern
      > Washington they could point me to that can help me
      > find some good spots?
      > -Thanks
      > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      > removed]