18816Re: [Hammock Camping] RainFly's

    Feb 15 4:28 PM
      i like using a rectangle tarp & i've been w/ people using hex shape which is really kinda like a rectangle w/ the corners trimmed down. i like the hex as well.
      some rectangle & hex shaped tarps have catenary cut edges that help keep the tarp tight & shed the wind better, but i've not seen any others that have as "deep" of catenary cuts as the ENO drifly.

      some people seem to get by just fine w/ a diamond shape but i stay away from them for the same reason i shy away from the ENO drifly... not enough extra coverage on the sides.

      in a lot of cases, a person could get by OK w/ less coverage on the sides even w/ blowing rain, but a lot of folks (including myself) end up liking the extra protection.
      with bigger sides i can still hang the tarp higher on a rainy night (or day) & have a much more "open" feel.

      also i usually keep a dry area under the hammock were my pack may be laying & were i may heat water for food or hot drink.

      the very deep cuts on the ENO drifly leave you only the protection of a very narrow tarp.

      also it's made of a coated material rather than silnylon. that does make it less expensive, but backpackers are often looking for ways to reduce bulk & weight.
      but that's just my opinion. the ENO drifly is still a nice looking tarp. ...tim

      Billy Chard <bc100s@...> wrote:
      Thanks for touching base with me about that Tim. I have enjoyed the
      information that I have gleened from this website,
      Most ppl here I have noticed use square or diamond shaped tarps? Is that
      correct? What does that give you? I mean what benefits do you get form
      that shape that I wont get from the ENO fly

      Billy