18742Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock Stands

  • Scott
    Feb 6, 2008
      Scroll down on this page to see my setup:
      http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/

      I will try a piece of rebar, and an additional stake like in your
      photo and see how it works. I think I have a 20" piece of rebar, and
      a 16" spike. Maybe I will go to the hardware store tonight.
      --
      Scott
      If man made it, don't eat it!!!

      Quoting Bill Keiser <bk2@...>:

      >> . . . My biggest challenge is to find stakes
      >> worthy of staying in the ground, or not breaking.
      >>
      >> scott
      >
      > see my diagram i posted a while back:
      > (sharpstick photo folder if the link doesn't work)
      > i thought i invented this setup but ralph pointed out that this is
      > how circus tents are staked.
      > i live in florida where we have a lot of loose sand. this basically
      > uses a long primary stake that is itself guyed down from the top to a
      > shorter one. this keeps the main stake from rotating and pulling
      > straight out of the ground. (i use it a lot for large tarps that might
      > have a lot of force on them, although i prefer to have small lines
      > that will break before the tarp fails.)
      > i think this system with a spiral dog stake as the secondary stake
      > might hold up a hammock.
      > btw, has anyone used single support poles with double guylines to
      > hold up a hammock? it would be lighter carrying a single pole, but
      > might be a bit unstable before your weight stabilizes it. a light line
      > between the tops of the poles should apply enough tension on it to
      > keep it in place.
      >
      > also see these threads:
      > billy sharpstick

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic