18731Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock Stands

  • Douglas Campbell
    Feb 5, 2008
      In an earlier post, someone used a simple long pole that was supported on
      the ends by two window sills. They then attached the hammock lines to the
      ends of the pole. The pole was rigid enough to withstand the compression of
      the hammock trying to pull the ends to the middle. The window sills simply
      had to support half the weight of the person in the hammock plus half the
      weight of the pole. It seems like this would be a great place to start with
      a design of a hammock stand that would be inexpensive and portable. The
      supports would not have to be as sturdy as some designs. Tripods?
      rope-staked bipods? Two SUV's (with padding on the ends of the poles)? Two
      really strong guys with nothing to do? Two bunkbeds? You get the idea. All
      the weight and strength would be in the horizontal pole. Just my two cents
      worth.

      Doug Campbell