18585RE: [Hammock Camping] update PeaPod experience

    Jan 7, 2008
      Bill, I hope others will also respond to your question, but I've never seen
      a serious problem with condensation when I've closed my PeaPod completely.
      Of course, some wetness does occur directly above my face, but it's a small
      price to pay for being snug & warm. I too have noticed that the wetness
      isn't as bad as I would have expected, perhaps because the PeaPod has
      breathable shells & my own body heat helps drive some of the moisture all
      the way out. I've had success reducing the wetness a bit by wearing the
      re-breather balaclava (forgot the brand name-Rick gear tested this item a
      year or so ago). A bandana over my mouth & nose does about the same thing &
      traps some of the moisture before it gets into the PeaPod. The PeaPod still
      gets a little wet, but this isn't a major problem even on week long trips.
      I've had my PeaPod get a whole lot wetter just from dew condensing on it on
      high-humidity nights, but this also seems to evaporate with no loss of
      warmth, again perhaps because my body warms the PeaPod again the next night,
      driving out any accumulated moisture. I've often thought of doing some
      weight tests to see if moisture continues to accumulate on multi-night use,
      but haven't yet-so I too am interested in other people's experience..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Author, Hammock Camping book

      Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc