      From: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of billybob38801
      Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 9:10 AM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] update PeaPod experience

      Hmm, it took me a minute to picture what you were saying, but I think
      you are on to something. Best of both worlds. It would, of course, be
      even more expensive than the normal PeaPod, but I guess no more so
      than a Snugfit plus a separate top quilt or two No Snivelers. I'm
      still looking forward to seeing some temp reports on the Snugfit.

      Though I'm still hoping I can get it adjusted just right. Once I do,
      I'll just leave it in place. But what's amazing to me is how well I
      did with a less than optimum ( apparently ) adjustment. Basically, at
      least as good as rated, I believe. I mean, a summer weight bag as
      quilt, some warm clothing( I've used more, believe me!)and a space
      blanket, and I am adequate at 10* with a wind chill between 0* and 5*,
      without any pads? What competing single product can beat that, even
      with a perfect adjustment? I'm impressed. After all, I'm not
      Mr.Antifreeze blood, AKA Neo!

      This thing is not perfect for me, and I hate that I can't use it with
      my HH, for example, and it won't necessarily replace all of my other
      means of keeping warm in a hammock. BUT, there is something just
      super efficient about this thing when it comes to hammock warmth. My
      impression is that reports I've seen with separate UQs plus top quilts
      don't show as much warmth? And I can understand that on top, since I
      added a thin quilt, which adds weight. But that shouldn't effect the
      bottom warmth.

      Maybe it is the effect of being sealed in, like a mummy bag? Which
      might be even more efficient using my separate Marmot hood outside the
      pod, with the pod sealed around my neck.

      I also wonder if being sealed in, with loft closing all around the
      side/top edges, decreases any cooling effect of small air gaps and
      less than perfect fit underneath? I can see where it would decrease
      any effect from breezes or air circulation, that might be more of a
      problem with quilts top and bottom? I don't know, just guessing about
      why this product seems to be warmer than you would think when
      comparing it to similar products, weight wise and rated loft wise.

      Of course, I really kind of expected ( no, let's say "hoped for")
      this. Due to having PMed a couple PeaPod users, who don't post very
      much on the forums. Folks who had reported super good results with
      their PeaPods on the trail. In all cases, better than rated for the
      PeaPod they were using.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

      > maybe ed & dave need to come up w/ a section that covers the top of
      the hammock by velcroing to the snugfit quilt??? that may be just
      about ideal.