      From: Frank Looper <Nightwalker.AT@...>
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2008 8:17:54 PM
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] update PeaPod experience

      Not much trouble to use the bag. The Evazote is 1/4", but it's better

      than most CCF as far as insulation goes. The undercover holds the

      Evazote pretty tight, and I made a loop to hold it in the same place

      all the time, duct-taped onto the place I want it to be. The duct tape

      also keeps the Evazote from tearing as easily, which can be a problem

      with that stuff.

      I'm leaving tonight for a 6-8 day hike around the Lake Jocassee area

      in SC/NC. I love Winter hiking the best, and hammocking is my favorite

      way to do it. My hammock setup is heavier than my tent setup, but the

      tent is about the lightest one out there*, so it's kind of cheating.

      :-)

      Frank/Nightwalker

      *Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo E

      On Jan 5, 2008 4:24 PM, billybob38801 <billybob38801@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      > Thanks for that info, Frank. I am a big SuperShelter fan myself. There

      > are not many of us that post on most hammock forums. So this was just

      > the one basic HH OCF pad, plus the CCF pad under it all? How thick was

      > that CCF pad? I am amazed that you were able to use the pad in this

      > fashion, UNDER the closed cell foam. You were obviously able to keep

      > the evazote pad up close to the OCF, but I'm not sure how you did

      > that. Did you have to adjust the undercover much tighter than usual?

      > I have been able to get the SS to some pretty low temps without CCF

      > pads, though I have also used those. I have added the HH torso and

      > kidney pads, and those really help. And the space blanket really

      > helps, just as it helped in the PeaPod. And putting clothing

      > underneath and/or a garlington insulator can really push that SS

      > lower. I'm not sure why it is not more popular. Especially considering

      > cost and weight.

      > I agree with you that a sleeping bag wrapped around you can get you a

      > lot of extra warmth. It has, for me, much fewer draft problems. Though

      > it is a bit ( a lot? ) more hassle.

      > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "Frank Looper"

      > <Nightwalker. AT@...> wrote:

      > > I did those cold nights with a Super Shelter on bottom, plus some 1/4"

      > > Evazote under the OCF. The Evazote on the head half of the under

      > > section was 4' x 4'. It could use just a little edge trimming. The

      > > foot half was 2' x 4' and overlapped with the top section. I used a

      > > 10' WM bag inside the hammock, and not just as a quilt. Yes, where I

      > > lay on the down crushes it, but only directly where I lay on it. Right

      > > beside the pressure points is full volume,and full insulation as well.

      > > Early in the night, on the first night, I had to put an arm out to

      > > keep from sweating. Later on, as it got into the teens, I zipped up

      > > and was roasty-toasty all night long. I had no cold spots, and could

      > > definitely have went colder. The wind whipped pretty hard all night

      > > long.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      <!--

      #ygrp-mkp{