18390Re: [Hammock Camping] Will I ever get better at setting up?

  • spunky2_2004
    Dec 3, 2007
      I figure it will just take practice and it will help once I settle
      into a routine. Many places I paddle have nice beaches in which I can
      pitch a lightweight tent. Maybe I'll get one and make it part of my
      normal gear load while kayaking.

      > I once timed myself putting up my hammock and getting in the quilt
      for
      > some purpose on one of the hammock or hiking lists. It was about 2-
      1/2
      > minutes. Add another 2 minutes for the tarp. When I lay out my
      tarp
      > tent, it takes about 2-3 minutes.
      >
      > What takes more time is finding the right place. Along the AT,
      finding
      > a good hammock place is easy while finding a place for a tent may
      take a
      > mile of walking. In Texas, oftentimes finding a place for a tent is
      > easier than finding the trees for a hammock.
      >
      > Practice does make it easier. Not hurrying almost always makes it
      faster.

      > Risk
      >
      > spunky2_2004 wrote:
      > > Sheesh! Will I ever get better at setting up???
      > >
      > > Okay, I'm a total newbie and at the risk of embarrassing myself
      on a
      > > list of several hundred people...here we go:
      > >
      > > I can count the number of times I've setup and taken down my
      Clark NA
      > > in my backyard experimenting with different combinations on one
      hand,
      > > but will I ever get better at all this? Please tell me, like with
      > > everything else, I'll get better with time and practice!
      > >
      > > It seems as if I could unpack a fancy new lightweight backpack
      tent,
      > > roll out a pad, roll out a bag, and be asleep in less than 10
      minutes.

      > > As it is now...I've got to tie off my hammock, tie off my bug
      > > net/weathershield, tie off and stake my tarp, place and adjust my
      pad,
      > > place and adjust my sleeping bag, blankets, or other things I
      need to
      > > stay warm, crawl in, zip up, then get some sleep.
      > >
      > > I need LOTS of practice!
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic