18365Re: [Hammock Camping] Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • Tod Massa
    Dec 1, 2007
      Survival is common sense and preparation. Take a look at http://www.captaindaves.com/dl-list/dl11-ess.htm for a decent piece of information.

      Tying survival to hammocking is all about keeping warm. (And not sleeping with your food. A person with a pocketful of Snickers sleeping in a hammock in bear country is essentially a bear taco. There is a lot of material out there about camping in a bear country - mostly it involves keeping your food away from your campsite. However, opinions vary.)

      Unfortunately, a hammock setup is not necessarily lighter than tenting. In summer conditions, in the flatlands, it certainly can be, but in colder weather, probably about the same or heavier.

      Why?

      You need a rainfly, a sleeping bag, an underquilt and/or pad or perhaps both. For each person...perhaps you can double hang, but that needs practice and may not always be ideal. Some hammocks combine all this, but those aren't any lighter than a single person tent or bivy.

      My current winter setup involves: a rainfly; a homemade extra large quilt (I am 6'4", 270ish) with two layers of Climashield XP; a homemade Risk Zhammock (basically two layers) with an Army poncho liner sewn into it; an Army surplus sleeping pad (closed cell foam). With light weight long johns, hat, and poly fleece hoodie, this gets me down to mid to upper 20s. The hammock and fly weigh about as much as my two-person single-wall tent.

      Tod