18359Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • Linda Ellis
    Nov 30, 2007

      --- "Jamie D." <jdeben@...> responded:
      > Anyone that ventures into the backcountry, hammocker or not, is a
      > potential survivalist. I think it's perfectly relevant.

      Hi, I'm new to this list, and this is my first post! I'm happy to see survival/emergency topics
      discussed, because that's pretty much why I bought the hammocks in the first place!

      We're probably a bit different from many of you more rugged back-country folks. We're approaching
      retirement, and plan on full-timing around the country doing volunteer work for BLM, NPS, and the
      Army Corps of Engineers. Having been chained to a desk for most of my life, I'm hoping we'll be
      allowed to do outside work, like trail maintenance, trail mapping, and so on. To that end, we've
      been hiking local trails, taking orienteering courses, and generally preparing. While it's our
      intention to venture out on trails for day hikes for work and pleasure, we realize that a small
      mishap can turn any day hike into an emergency. Does anybody remember the 76-year-old woman a few
      months ago who was bow-hunting in Idaho with her husband? He broke his wrist; they somehow got
      separated. He was found after a day or two; she was out there for eight days.

      Or Steve Fossett, who took off for a three-hour pleasure plane ride over Labor Day and hasn't been
      seen since? We're also planning to take trips like those glacier-plane-sightseeing trips, where
      mostly you don't expect problems, but sometimes, there are...

      Sooo, we're planning to take some emergency gear with us on any trip where we'll be out for most
      of the day, as well as any trip which we see as having the risk of a mishap that would require us
      to be out in the woods overnight, or longer. In our research, hammocks seemed like a much better
      use of space and weight for these packs. They're lighter than a tent for two would be; they can
      go up faster; we can then "camp" in more unusual places. After all, I'm not expecting that I'd
      break a leg conveniently near a great, flat campsite away from animal habitats! More likely, I'm
      figuring an emergency might occur in locations that are notably hostile to "normal" camping!

      So, thanks for the survival/emergency tips! I'll be keeping copious notes!

      For my first question, I'd like to hear more about hammock camping and bears and other predators.
      I've read the hammock camping newsletter article with two stories, but this is one area I'd like
      to become more familiar with. We haven't yet camped in bear country, and the biggest predators we
      have here in the midwest are raccoons that can be scared off with shouts. I'd be interested in
      the experiences of others with animals while hammock camping...

      Linda
      The Truly Educated Never Graduate
    • Show all 68 messages in this topic