18338Re: [Hammock Camping] Solar Stills When You Least Expect Them

    Nov 28, 2007
      one interesting method i've seen (but not put to use) is wrapping a foliage covered branch in plastic (trash bag?) & wrapping the end tight around the branch to seal it.

      as the sun heats the plastic the green leaves inside will put off moister which will collect inside the bag.

      that apparently is more practical in a lot of situations than a solar still.
      that way of collecting water was shown by cody lundun (sp?), a survival expert specializing in desert conditions of the south west US.

      Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
      One of the biggest factors I have seen is "how much moisture is coming
      out of the ground?". I haven't made a solar still intentionally but I
      have seen its effect many times while backpacking. When hammocking I
      sometimes get a lot of moisture on the under side of my tarp and many
      times that is from condensation from the moisture evaporating from the
      ground and/or vegetation on the ground. Sometimes it is so pronounced
      that it occurs between the time I set up my tarp, mess around camp and
      cook my dinner... I will have condensation on the underside of my tarp
      before I have even been under the tarp.

      One of the more noticeable occurrences was when I tarped and slept on
      the ground using either a plastic ground sheet or a Tyvek ground
      sheet. When I used a plastic ground sheet, the underside of it would
      often be slightly muddy even on dry ground after a night of sleeping
      and I didn't have much problem with condensation on the underside of
      my tarp. When I used a Tyvek ground sheet, the underside of it would
      be dry on dry ground after a night of sleeping but I often had
      problems with condensation on the underside of my tarp... in fact,
      there were times I would have condensation on the underside of my tarp
      between the time I set up my tarp, messed around camp and cooked my
      dinner.

      Looking back on those situations, I think I was lucky that I didn't
      get into a situation when I was using a Tyvek ground sheet where I got
      into trouble because not only is it not a vapor barrier, I don't think
      it is waterproof to a very high pressure and I worry that you might
      get ground water pushing through it from you body weight if the ground
      was saturated with water, like laying in or on a puddle of water in
      heavy rains. At the time I appreciated that I didn't have to deal with
      a slightly muddy piece of plastic in the morning even when the ground
      was dry.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000
      WinterTarp