18334Solar Stills When You Least Expect Them

    Nov 28, 2007
      One of the biggest factors I have seen is "how much moisture is coming
      out of the ground?". I haven't made a solar still intentionally but I
      have seen its effect many times while backpacking. When hammocking I
      sometimes get a lot of moisture on the under side of my tarp and many
      times that is from condensation from the moisture evaporating from the
      ground and/or vegetation on the ground. Sometimes it is so pronounced
      that it occurs between the time I set up my tarp, mess around camp and
      cook my dinner... I will have condensation on the underside of my tarp
      before I have even been under the tarp.

      One of the more noticeable occurrences was when I tarped and slept on
      the ground using either a plastic ground sheet or a Tyvek ground
      sheet. When I used a plastic ground sheet, the underside of it would
      often be slightly muddy even on dry ground after a night of sleeping
      and I didn't have much problem with condensation on the underside of
      my tarp. When I used a Tyvek ground sheet, the underside of it would
      be dry on dry ground after a night of sleeping but I often had
      problems with condensation on the underside of my tarp... in fact,
      there were times I would have condensation on the underside of my tarp
      between the time I set up my tarp, messed around camp and cooked my
      dinner.

      Looking back on those situations, I think I was lucky that I didn't
      get into a situation when I was using a Tyvek ground sheet where I got
      into trouble because not only is it not a vapor barrier, I don't think
      it is waterproof to a very high pressure and I worry that you might
      get ground water pushing through it from you body weight if the ground
      was saturated with water, like laying in or on a puddle of water in
      heavy rains. At the time I appreciated that I didn't have to deal with
      a slightly muddy piece of plastic in the morning even when the ground
      was dry.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000
      WinterTarp

      was Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: female 'pee bottles' was Panda High Peak
      as a sleep...

      Best idea is to try this out before deciding to rely on it. The amount
      of sweat spent in digging a hole 3 foot wide and 3 foot deep is amazing,
      especially when one has no shovel. I have tried using smaller set-ups.
      They have always been disappointing. The essential design criteria is
      that the slope of the plastic needs to be steep enough so that the water
      runs off it.

      I am reading a desert survival book this week. In that book, the solar
      still is called idol worship. It seems like a good idea, but does not
      accomplish much.

      Rick

      amendment2@... wrote:
      > Almost, in a solar still, you line around the inside with the urine and
      > other moisture bearing vegetation. In the center you put a clean
      container and
      the
      > distilled water condenses on the plastic, runs to the low point,
      drips into
      > the clean container. Best idea is to put a long small diameter hose
      from the
      > inside bottom of the container up to the outside of the still so you can
      > drink the water without disturbing the distilling action of the still.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic