18226Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Thanks for all your input!

  • Douglas Campbell
    Oct 31, 2007
      Franc,

      I use 1" webbing, I wrap it around the tree 2 or 3 times (depending on how
      big the tree is); I spread the wraps apart so they cover more surface area.
      I wrap the webbing on top of my hammock line (usually 3/8" yellow poly,
      hollow braid rope) and then tie my knot in the hammock line. This spreads
      the stress more or less equally on all the wraps of the webbing. I'd like
      to say that it never leaves a mark on the tree; but it's almost impossible
      to not leave a mark on the bark of pine, fir and spruce trees that we have
      up on our areas. I shoot for a 30 degree sag angle, but it seems to vary
      between about 30 and 40 degrees. I weigh about 152lbs (just in case you're
      doing calculations on the actual pull of the lines).

      Good luck with your research!

      Doug Campbell