18164Re: Best material for making quilts for use inside the hammock

    Oct 16, 2007
      Jon,

      I understand what you are saying. What I didn't have a good
      understanding of was in reference to the various versions of
      insulation that Climashield sells
      http://www.climashield.com/products.php . They have their XP, HL, CL,
      and Combat versions. Their specs indicate that the HL is the highest
      lofting version and the XP has the most insulation per ounce... my
      question was why would you use anything other than the XP since it has
      the most insulation per ounce. Surely there are other tradeoffs
      because if there wasn't... why would you need anything other than the
      XP version? I was curious as to what those tradeoffs were. On their
      product pages, they list the same 4 applications for all four
      versions-- sleeping bags, outerwear, footwear, and gloves.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000
      Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
      Winter Tarp

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Davis" <kohburn@...> wrote:

      > When it comes to materials other than down loft does not equal
      > insulative value. Think of foams, the more dense the foam tpically
      > the higher the R value. With foams and often the hollow synthetic
      > fibers the more dense it is the more small air pockets exist inside it
      > that do not allow convection or conduction increasing the insulation
      > value without lofting like down.
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Rodney,
      > >
      > > The 1.1 oz rip stop nylon with DWR is the standby for the down quilts
      > > I have made. I think that is what most of the DIY crowd uses unless
      > > they have some specific application where they want something more
      > > water resistance or want to see just how light they can make something
      > > with the lightest possible materials they can get their hands on.
      > >
      > > I haven't used synthetic insulation before. I am curious as to why
      > > you are using different types of insulation for the warm and cold
      > > weather quilts when you are using one layer on one and two layers on
      > > the other. I have looked at the Climashield and was a little puzzled
      > > with the different versions they had of it. They had one that had the
      > > best insulative value per ounce but it wasn't the highest lofting
      > > version. What do you gain by not using the best insulative value per
      > > ounce version?
      > >
      > > Dave Womble
      > > aka Youngblood 2000
      > > Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
      > > Winter Tarp

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic