18163Re: Best material for making quilts for use inside the hammock

  • Jon Davis
    Oct 15, 2007
      When it comes to materials other than down loft does not equal
      insulative value. Think of foams, the more dense the foam tpically
      the higher the R value. With foams and often the hollow synthetic
      fibers the more dense it is the more small air pockets exist inside it
      that do not allow convection or conduction increasing the insulation
      value without lofting like down.

      > Rodney,
      >
      > The 1.1 oz rip stop nylon with DWR is the standby for the down quilts
      > I have made. I think that is what most of the DIY crowd uses unless
      > they have some specific application where they want something more
      > water resistance or want to see just how light they can make something
      > with the lightest possible materials they can get their hands on.
      >
      > I haven't used synthetic insulation before. I am curious as to why
      > you are using different types of insulation for the warm and cold
      > weather quilts when you are using one layer on one and two layers on
      > the other. I have looked at the Climashield and was a little puzzled
      > with the different versions they had of it. They had one that had the
      > best insulative value per ounce but it wasn't the highest lofting
      > version. What do you gain by not using the best insulative value per
      > ounce version?
      >
      > Dave Womble
      > aka Youngblood 2000
      > Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt, and
      > Winter Tarp

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic