18152Re: Nice to Meet you, Ed and Karen

    Oct 11, 2007
      Michael,

      Yes, you can vent the SnugFit Underquilt.

      With the Speer model that you have, the sides of the underquilt attach
      to the sides of the hammock and that gives you a different set of
      options from the Universal model. You can leave the sides attached
      and use a different loop on the shock cord going to the carabiners, or
      move the carabiners from the bugnet attachment, or just disconnect the
      carabiners all together. These will drop the underquilt from the
      hammock some and you will get venting since it will no longer be an
      efficient insulator with air gaps between it and the bottom of the
      hammock. (You do have to worry about the quilt dropping down enough to
      snag on something or maybe even drag the ground if your hammock is
      hanging kind of low, so watch out for that.) You can also undo the
      hook and loop fasteners on one side and then pull that side of the
      underquilt underneath you and to the other side of the hammock.

      But venting is venting... it is not like you can just dial up the
      precise amount of insulation you need. This is very much like having
      a thick jacket that will keep you warm to freezing temperatures. When
      it is too warm to use that jacket but just cool enough that you need
      something, you can vent it by unzipping it, opening draw strings at
      the waste, pit zips, etc, but it will not be as comfortable in 65F
      weather as a light jacket or long sleeve shirt. Venting is what we do
      to make the best of our situation when we have too much insulation to
      be comfortable.

      Venting an underquilt is more difficult than venting top side
      insulation especially since it often means you have to get up and make
      adjustments. It is also a bummer in certain temperature ranges
      because when you lay down to go to sleep it is too warm to need any
      insulation what so ever, in fact it may be hot and you want to cool
      off, what you want is an air conditioner... but you know that sometime
      during the evening it will cool off and you will need some insulation.
      Venting the underquilt will not solve that problem but it might help
      it be more bearable. Sometimes I just wait and put the underquilt on
      when it cools off. Sometimes I vent it and then un-vent it when it
      cools off. Other times I just leave in on, vent on the top side, and
      hope it cools off quickly. Venting is not like having an air
      conditioner/heating system with an automatic thermostat, like I said
      earlier-- venting is what we do to make the best of our situation when
      we have too much insulation to be comfortable.

      When you get in conditions where the temperatures stay a little
      cooler, perhaps 30-70F or so, I don't think you will worry about
      venting your underquilt and will just vent your top side insulation as
      necessary. With your Speer Model, I'm hoping you will not even know
      it is there, especially if you use a big enough stuff sack to
      accommodate the hammock with the quilt attached.

      Hope all that helps, sorry that I got long winded but I think venting
      has been misrepresented at times as to just what you can do with it
      and what you can't do with it and I wanted to use this as an
      opportunity to help sort that out.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood 2000
      Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, SnugFit Underquilt and
      Winter Tarp
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic